Renewing a Longtime Steele Tradition
Theodore Clement Steele (1847-1926) became Indiana University’s first Artist in Residence where he led students “to see the Beautiful in nature and in life.” Steele visited the campus often following his move to Brown County. As one of Indiana’s leading artists, his presence on campus was an indication of IU’s increasing cultural prominence. The university position offered Steele“the comforts of civilization,” unlike the wilderness of rural Brown County. Greatly moved by that wild, but beautiful landscape, he developed an impressionistic style of painting that contrasted with his more tonal, academic works. In both locations, Steele served as a mentor to other artists and opened students’ eyes to the area’s natural beauty by demonstrating his methods and sharing his philosophy. This dual role is reflected in the goals of the site’s Artist in Residence Program (A.I.R.)
A Breath of Fresh A.I.R.
Contemporary artists are invited to follow tradition amid the landscape that inspired Steele’s paintings. Resident Artists will develop their own skills, interact with artists, students and visitors while supporting these A.I.R. program goals:
- To promote the T.C. Steele State Historic Site and the works of T.C. Steele
- To cultivate and encourage contemporary fine arts and artists
- To create an opportunity for an exchange among artists, students and the community with hands-on experiences and interaction with working artists
How to Apply
Download and complete A.I.R. application form (PDF) and include the following with your submission:
- One-page resumé or vitae including your email address and 3 references.
- Personal statement of why you wish to be a resident artist at T.C. Steele, what your goals for the residency period are, and how your work is relevant to the historical site and/or the natural world.
- 10-20 digital images (JPGs no larger than 300 dpi and 4 x 5 inches) of your most recent work on a CD. Submitted CDs will not be returned.
- Image identification sheet with name and contact information at the top followed by thumbnail images labeled with title, medium, size and date of work.
- $15 check made payable to: The Friends of T.C. Steele. The fee is tax-deductible and non-refundable.
Submission of application does not guarantee selection. Selected artists will be subject to a criminal background check.
The artist worships the beauty of the world, for his whole life’s work is the endeavor to make permanent that which endures so short a time. The hours and the season, under the magic of light, weave and interweave the whole world of effect. Happy indeed is the artist if he can grasp and give again the beauty and significance of an hour, in this changeable miracle of nature, and make permanent upon his canvas the poignant charm of that which is so brief.T.C. Steele