Temporary Site Closure
At direction of the governor and following recommendations from the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH), all 12 locations of the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites will be TEMPORARILY CLOSED beginning March 17 in response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak. This decision was made out of an abundance of caution, to protect the safety and health of our staff, volunteers and visitors.
Travel Back in Time
Wandering the grounds at the historic site is like stepping into a painting and seeing it change over the years. Nature and history provide the backdrop as you:
- Take a guided historic painting walk.
- Explore Selma’s restored gardens.
- Visit the Outdoor Studio and explore Steele’s Traveling Studio Wagon, with games and hands-on activities for families and kids of all ages.
- Relax in the coffee bar of the Singing Winds Visitor Center.
- Learn about past Brown County farmers in the century old Dewar Log Cabin.
- Set up a space to paint.
- Discover aquatic life in the lily ponds.
- Hike 3+ miles of trails.
- Bring binoculars to identify warblers and woodpeckers.
- Find artistic inspiration at Steele’s remote painting studio.
- Relax on 211 sprawling acres.
Grounds & Gardens
Please enjoy the grounds, every day of the week! All trails are accessible daily. Special group garden tours may be arranged in advance. (Additional fees apply.)
Home, Studio & Visitor Center Hours
We are in the Eastern Time Zone and observe Daylight Savings Time.
The site is closed
Mondays and some holidays. The site may also close for weather-related emergencies. Please check the site’s Facebook page: T.C. Steele State Historic Site, for immediate updates. We will post any unforseen closures on social media as quickly as we can.
The site will be CLOSED on: Easter Sunday; Thanksgiving; December 24, Christmas Eve & December 25, Christmas; and New Year’s Eve.
Tuesday-Sunday Tour Schedule
10:15am • 11:15am • 12:15pm • 1:15pm • 2:15pm • 3:15pm • 4:15pm
We do not offer self guided tours of the House and Studio.
Your admission fee includes:
- Unlimited day access to the historic gardens, grounds, and trails on 211-acres.
- Steele’s Outdoor Studio area, which includes the Studio Wagon and hands-on activities and games.
- A guided tour of the painter’s House of the Singing Winds and Large Studio.
Daily admission fees are a small percentage of the funding we need to keep the site open and beautiful! Thank you for your support!
Hourly guided tours of Steele’s Large Studio and the House of the Singing Winds are available year-round. Tours begin promptly on the quarter hour.
On special event and program days, the tour schedule may be adjusted out of courtesy to programs in the historic buildings. Please check our calendar for tour information if you wish to tour on a scheduled program/event day! Contact the site to schedule a special tour for your group.
We are honored to be a Blue Star Museum. To honor their service, active and veteran military receive free admission every day, and their immediate family members receive $2 off admission. In 2019, this discounted admission runs from Armed Forces Day through Sept. 2nd, Labor Day!
Are you a member of AAA? Ask for the $1 off discount for site admission, and show your card in the shop for 10% off all qualifying purchases!
We are also part of the NARM and ASTC reciprocity agreement.
|Seniors (60 and up)||$8.00|
|Children (age 3-17)||$5.00|
|Children under 3||Free|
Groups of 15 people or more qualify for a discounted rate.
To receive this discount, you must call the site in advance of your visit.
|Group Seniors (60 and up)||$7.00|
|Group Children (age 3-17)||$4.00|
|Children under 3||Free|
|Organized K-12 Indiana School Group||FREE for students!|
Discounts & Reciprocal Agreements
- Discounts apply for National Trust for Historic Preservation members and AAA members (10% off in the Museum Shop).
- Members of the Indiana State Museum, ASTC and NARM members receive free tours and site admission. Please remember to bring your ISMHS or other membership card for free admittance. Site staff cannot verify your membership without it!
- Access Pass members get in for $1 per person on the pass. Please remember to bring your Access Pass for discount admittance!
As of July 31st, 2015, our historic stone arches were struck and smashed by the falling of Steele’s old black oak tree. The arches have been rebuilt, but our front entrance remains closed. Enter through the second entrance, just down the road, and park in our lot or the overflow/bus lot on the south side of the Classroom building.