Travel Back in Time
Wandering the grounds at the historic site is like stepping into a painting and seeing it change over the years. Nature and history provide the backdrop as you:
- Take a guided historic painting walk.
- Explore Selma’s restored gardens.
- Learn about past Brown County farmers in the century old Dewar Log Cabin.
- Set up a space to paint.
- Discover aquatic life in the lily ponds.
- Hike 3+ miles of trails.
- Bring binoculars to identify warblers and woodpeckers.
- Find artistic inspiration at Steele’s remote painting studio.
- Relax on 211 sprawling acres.
Grounds & Gardens
Please enjoy the grounds free of charge, every day of the week! All trails are accessible daily, including on Mondays. Special group garden tours may be arranged in advance. (Additional fees apply.)
Home, Studio & Visitor Center Hours
|Tuesday||10:00 AM — 5:00 PM|
|Wednesday||10:00 AM — 5:00 PM|
|Thursday||10:00 AM — 5:00 PM|
|Friday||10:00 AM — 5:00 PM|
|Saturday||10:00 AM — 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||10:00 AM — 5:00 PM|
We are in the Eastern Time Zone and observe Daylight Savings Time.
The Large Studio is currently undergoing renovations and will be closed to the public for tours beginning March 25, 2019. We will update you here about its reopening! Tours of the House are still available during the closure, at the regular times and rates. We apologize for the inconvenience!
The House, Studio, and Singing Winds Visitor Center are closed every Monday, with the exception of holiday Mondays: MLK Jr. Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Veterans Day. All trails remain open to the public.
The site will be CLOSED on: April 21, Easter Sunday; November 28, Thanksgiving; December 24, Christmas Eve & December 25, Christmas; and New Year’s Eve.
Tuesday-Sunday Tour Schedule
10:15am • 11:15am • 12:15pm • 1:15pm • 2:15pm • 3:15pm • 4:15pm
We do not offer self guided tours of the House and Studio.
Hourly guided tours of Steele’s Large Studio and the House of the Singing Winds are available year-round. Tours begin promptly on the quarter hour.
On special event and program days, the tour schedule may be adjusted out of courtesy to programs in the historic buildings. Please check our calendar for tour information if you wish to tour on a scheduled program/event day! Contact the site to schedule a special tour for your group.
|Seniors (60 and up)||$6.00|
|Children (age 3-17)||$4.00|
|Children under 3||Free|
Groups of 15 people or more qualify for a discounted rate.
To receive this discount, you must call the site in advance of your visit.
|Group Seniors (60 and up)||$5.00|
|Group Children (age 3-17)||$3.00|
|Children under 3||Free|
|Organized K-12 Indiana School Group||FREE for students!|
Discounts & Reciprocal Agreements
- Discounts apply for National Trust for Historic Preservation members and AAA members (10% off in the Museum Shop).
- Members of the Friends of T.C. Steele enjoy free admission at T.C. Steele State Historic Site for tours and site admission.
- Members of the Indiana State Museum, ASTC and NARM members receive free tours and site admission. Please remember to bring your ISMHS or other membership card for free admittance. Site staff cannot verify your membership without it!
- Access Pass members get in for $1 per person on the pass. Please remember to bring your Access Pass for discount admittance!
As of July 31st, 2015, our historic stone arches were struck and smashed by the falling of Steele’s old black oak tree. The arches have been rebuilt, but our front entrance remains closed. Enter through the second entrance, just down the road, and park in our lot or the overflow/bus lot on the south side of the Classroom building.