Theodore Clement Steele, American, 1847–1926
Oil on canvas
76.2 cm x 101.6 cm | 30 in x 40.5 in
Used by permission, Richmond Art Museum1
In 1896, T.C. Steele and J. Ottis Adams began annual summer visits to the Whitewater River Valley in Franklin County, seeking opportunities to paint.
The duo first rented a home in Metamora along the Whitewater Canal. That same year, Steele commissioned the building of a studio wagon, which he used to travel around and paint the countryside. Two years later, in 1898, Steele and Adams purchased the Brookville mansion they named The Hermitage…
1The Richmond Art Museum was founded in 1898 as the Art Association of Richmond, Indiana. Artist John Elwood Bundy and author and attorney William Dudley Foulke were instrumental in the founding. The only independent art museum to be housed within a public school, RAM has offered free admission for over 120 years.