Theodore Clement Steele, American, 1847–1926
Oil on Canvas
58.74 cm x 71.44 cm
By 1886, artist T.C. Steele resided here on estate called Tinker or Talbott. By 1887, he built a studio on the grounds and opened it to the public. He taught classes, exhibited work, and helped advance the quality of Midwestern art, notably as part of Society of Western Artists. He served as vice-president of Art Association of Indianapolis (established 1883).
The Art Association purchased the property here in 1901, to create John Herron Art Institute, which included school and museum. Herron opened 1902 and grew quickly, fulfilling Association’s goal “to cultivate and advance Art.” Herron hosted large exhibitions of Steele’s work in 1910 and 1926. The John Herron Art Institute evolved into Herron School of Art and Design and Indianapolis Museum of Art.
Talbot Place, now known as Herron-Morton Neighborhood, hosts the annual Talbot Street Art Fair (note art fair spells Talbot with one “t”). With over 250 artists from across the nation, this juried art fair continues to be ranked as one of the finest fairs in the country. Talbot Street Art Fair is held in the open air on Talbott Street, between 16th & 22nd Streets (East & West) and between Delaware & Pennsylvania (North & South).