As part of Indiana University’s Bicentennial celebration during the 2019-2020 academic year, the IU Historical Marker Program has been installing historical markers on campus to note significant people, places, events and organizations that have an extraordinary impact on the university, state, nation and world.
University President Michael McRobbie has approved a historical marker in recognition of T.C. Steele (1847 – 1926) and his role at Indiana University as “Honorary Professor of Painting.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions and responses, the marker will be installed as soon as feasible in 2020. Current plans include the installation to be near Franklin Hall where Steele maintained a studio on the top floor.
Left: T.C. Steele’s studio in 1923. Courtesy IU Archives, Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection taken March 28, 1923. Right: Last known photo of T.C. Steele outside Franklin Hall next to his Model T of the 1923-25 era. Photo courtesy Indiana University Archives. Auto provenance courtesy The Henry Ford Co.
Once the installation is complete, Indiana University will take photos of the marker and will request comments from university and campus colleagues regarding the topic’s historical significance and connection to the university. The images and comments for the installed markers will be posted on the Indiana University Bicentennial website and social media platforms, and we encourage you to look for them in the future. We will communicate status, location and social media access to our members as well in our future newsletters.
Special thanks to David E. Steele who initiated and completed the nomination documents and process.