T.C. Steele’s Birthday
September 11, 1847
Theodore Clement Steele was born September 11, 1847 near Gosport, in Owen Country, Indiana. He is the eldest child of Samuel Hamilton and Harriet Newell Evans Steele. His father Samuel was a saddle maker and farmer. The Steele family moved to Waveland, Indiana in 1852 when T.C. Steele was 5 years old. He lived in Waveland until he left to pursue painting career at about age 18.
32nd Annual T.C. Steele Great Outdoor Art Contest
September 12, 2020
- At present time the historic site is open and operating, but this may change based on Governor’s directions regarding COVID-19.
- This year, instead of a high impact single day, the site will offer a low impact 3-day event. See IPAPA Schedule of 2020 events for more detail.
- If you are not a member, but would like to participate in the 2021 Member Art Show, please take a minute to join the Friends of T.C. Steele and you will be eligible to participate!
Masks are required and observe proper social distancing during check-in and while participating in activities on the grounds. Artists who are socially distant while working outdoors are not required to wear a mask. Additionally, please be mindful of our leave no trace and pet policies during your visit. Thank you!
Contact: Cate Whetzel
Program Developer & Acting Site Director
2021 Member Art Show
Saturday, February 6 – Friday, February 26, 2021
$2100 in prize money!
- Best of Show, $1,000.
- First Place, $500.
- Second Place, $250.
- Third Place, $100.
- Jurors’ discretion for Honorable Mention, $250.
- A pool of $250 will also be allocated for honorable mentions; number of mentions + dollar amount is at the jurors discretion
Brown County Art Gallery
Corner of Artist Drive & Main Street
Current Historic Site Hours & Tours
(As of August 15, 2020)
The T.C. Steele Historic Site is currently Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00am to 5:00pm Eastern.
Tours are currently offered at 10:15 am, 1:15 pm and 3:15 pm.
Masks are required on tours but not while hiking or walking on the grounds.